TOS Insignia

137th Gebirg
Flight Leader

TOS Insignia

Post by 137th Gebirg » Sat Jun 20, 2015 5:16 pm

This document is to be used as a guide for identifying and procuring military insignia for the construction of uniforms and costumes from the Battlestar Galactica 1978 Series. Many of the devices in question are from Korean and Vietnam era American military units. Others were custom-made for the show. All known devices have been identified and given links as to where one may be able to purchase them. Other devices have not been identified yet and are marked as such. Any ideas on what these items may be, please send me a PM here.

UPDATE as of 9/26/2019: Thanks to a new generation of researchers and the re-release of all classic footage on high-definition Blu-Ray discs, many higher resolution screen captures have emerged, particularly of the “Distinguished Service Medallion” used by Commanders Cain and Kronus, as well as Colonel Boomer (from Galactica: 1980). Because of this recently-discovered evidence, I have decided to update this document for the first time in 11 years, for the sake of accuracy. The bottom piece was NOT the European Command badge, like I originally believed. Many thanks to YourProps.com for this. I've also updated links to other sites that still supply the surplus militaria from which many of the costume devices are derived. Unfortunately, some of them have gotten so old, they're not commonly sold as much anymore and can only be found on eBay.
BSG_Insignia.pdf
(1.53 MiB) Downloaded 99 times
BSG_Insignia.pdf
(1.53 MiB) Downloaded 99 times
(Updated 12/18/2019)
Last edited by 137th Gebirg on Thu Jan 02, 2020 11:04 am, edited 2 times in total.

I may appear unoccupied to you, but at the molecular level, I'm really quite busy.

137th Gebirg
Flight Leader

Re: TOS Insignia

Post by 137th Gebirg » Thu Sep 26, 2019 1:45 pm

New update as of 9/26/2019 to the above document.
I may appear unoccupied to you, but at the molecular level, I'm really quite busy.

Cylon-Knight
Site Administrator

Post by Cylon-Knight » Fri Sep 27, 2019 3:45 pm

Wonderful! Thank you!!
"All Baseships are now in range to attack the Colonies."

bishopdonmiguel
Phalanx Leader

Post by bishopdonmiguel » Fri Sep 27, 2019 4:19 pm

I’ve looked over your document many times and it has been very helpful.

I’m the guy over at Bionic Moon Labs that researched the Distinguished Service Medallion using Blu-ray and created the updated replica. Very happy to see your document updated with this more accurate info.

You might also want to update the Starchaser Medallion. I’ve discovered that was a WWII Siam (Thai) Army helmet badge. Google that and you’ll see pics.

The badge was mounted upside down and modified slightly. The central portion was obscured with a flat circular piece and a small relief of a Royal Thai dancer chada headdress was placed in the middle.

137th Gebirg
Flight Leader

Post by 137th Gebirg » Wed Oct 02, 2019 7:25 am

Very cool - nice to meet you and thanks for the kind words!

Re: Starchaser Medallion, I recall when the screen-used helmet was first revealed a few years back and all the traffic it generated. The thing that concerned me about it at the time was the rounded white plastic disc that was overlayed in the middle that (at least, to me) bore no resemblance to what appeared on-screen. The headdress motif looked drawn or painted on the disc with a black sharpie. Here's the conversation dating back to 2014. The screen caps from the original episode didn't seem to have any color variance, and the one you have on your site looks dead-on by comparison. Not sure where this other one came from - correct helmet, correct badge, but that top insert seemed wrong to me. Would love to know where you got the correct insert for yours.

TOS BSG seemed to favor southeast Asian militaria. The CORA badge, the Vietnam Tech 1C medal for Cain's medallion, the Blue Squadron patch (derived from the Sri Yantra Vimana), and I think the Medical pin is another multi-piece fabrication, likely originating from Thailand, Cambodia, Laos or one of those countries in the region:

The base piece appears to be a smaller version of this (which I haven't found yet):

With a four-pointed lotus star pin soldered/glued on top of it (which I also haven't found):

The stylistic and symbolic motif matches perfectly, but the correct-sized devices have eluded me for years.

The matching patch, I believe to be a custom job based on the fabricated pin, and not taken from some militaria store like many of the other screen-used patches:

@JmvGreek1 has done a truly excellent job getting these reproduced in this thread.

With your permission, I will be updating my document accordingly with your badge information and photos, and including a link to your online store so people will know where to get these.

bishopdonmiguel
Phalanx Leader

Post by bishopdonmiguel » Wed Oct 02, 2019 8:32 am

I originally thought the base medallion for the Starchaser helmet badge was based on a Siamese/Thailand Army breast badge. That's what I made my replica from. After I finished it, I noted it was just a tad smaller than the screen used item. Further searching led me to the WWII Siam Army Helmet Badge. Same emblem, but slightly larger. I think one of these or a close cousin was what was used for the prop...

As for the inset, was likely a part of another larger piece. I found something like the one in the center here and removed just the chada part. I extended the tip a bit with a toothpick and filled in the extra details with clay...

My master model looked like this prior to going in the silicone...

The medical pin is definitely two pieces as you say. The base is most likely an item similar to what you posted. Being a "royal crest," there are so many variants of these pins and badges we might never know exactly what was used until one of the original props surfaces. The square piece sitting on top is almost certainly a collar rank pin. I have one that is very close but not an exact match.

Lastly, with the help of a certain Cylon-Knight and his amazing scanning red eye, I acquired the central piece for Adama's neck medallion a few years ago. Been meaning to create a replica. Will do so soon but but base is a real pain to model and the original breast badges are too varied and too expensive to acquire. I'll eventually get to making a replica though.

137th Gebirg
Flight Leader

Post by 137th Gebirg » Wed Dec 18, 2019 3:52 pm

I've been perusing through your great props site (in preparation for my next document update) and I have a few new questions for you:
  • I noticed you had the Eastern Alliance cap badge available there. Is that something you custom-made or did you find a real-world source for that? It looks dead-on! Would like to add some source info about that in my document.
  • Your "Galactic Distinguished Service Medallion" seems sold out - will there be others available anytime soon? I'd like to to try to get both a gold and silver, if possible.
  • Do you have the "Starchaser" helmet badge available by itself or mounted on the helmet only?

bishopdonmiguel
Phalanx Leader

Post by bishopdonmiguel » Sat Jan 11, 2020 2:04 pm

137th Gebirg wrote:I noticed you had the Eastern Alliance cap badge available there. Is that something you custom-made or did you find a real-world source for that? It looks dead-on! Would like to add some source info about that in my document.
That is a custom sculpt I made from screen cap references. It isn’t 100% accurate. The original has very distinctive flat scallops or fleur-de-lis shapes. I wasn’t able to replicate those accurately.
137th Gebirg wrote:Your "Galactic Distinguished Service Medallion" seems sold out - will there be others available anytime soon? I'd like to to try to get both a gold and silver, if possible.
I need to cast a few more of those for my Etsy store. I can make a silver one and hold it for you. Just note you’d like a silver one in the checkout notes.
137th Gebirg wrote:Do you have the "Starchaser" helmet badge available by itself or mounted on the helmet only?
I do have a mold for the one I made. It isn’t 100% accurate. The screen used one is slightly larger and flatter. I might make a revised badge if there is interest.

I also need to get the Adama Medallion done.

137th Gebirg
Flight Leader

Post by 137th Gebirg » Sun Jan 19, 2020 8:23 pm

Awesome! Could you post here when you’re ready to produce them? I’d definitely like to purchase these things to add to my collection.

bishopdonmiguel
Phalanx Leader

Post by bishopdonmiguel » Thu Aug 06, 2020 3:35 pm

137th Gebirg wrote:Awesome! Could you post here when you’re ready to produce them? I’d definitely like to purchase these things to add to my collection.
I have the redesigned Starchaser emblem finished and gold and silver Distinguished Service Medallions ready to go. I’ll be posting listings soon...

https://www.etsy.com/shop/BionicMoonLabs

137th Gebirg
Flight Leader

Post by 137th Gebirg » Thu Aug 06, 2020 8:34 pm

Excellent! Ready to pay for them. Also going to get the EA medallion as well. :salute:

bishopdonmiguel
Phalanx Leader

Post by bishopdonmiguel » Fri Aug 07, 2020 12:32 pm

Last edited by bishopdonmiguel on Fri Aug 07, 2020 12:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.

bishopdonmiguel
Phalanx Leader

Post by bishopdonmiguel » Fri Aug 07, 2020 12:35 pm

My Starchaser Helmet updated with revised (larger) medallion...

137th Gebirg
Flight Leader

Post by 137th Gebirg » Fri Aug 07, 2020 6:32 pm

Beautiful!

Just placed my order. I noticed that the silver (Boomer) version of the Cain pin wasn’t available. Will that be on your site at a later date?

bishopdonmiguel
Phalanx Leader

Post by bishopdonmiguel » Fri Aug 07, 2020 7:00 pm

137th Gebirg wrote:Beautiful!

Just placed my order. I noticed that the silver (Boomer) version of the Cain pin wasn’t available. Will that be on your site at a later date?
Ah, sorry just sent you a note on that. As I noted previously, just order a gold one and note you’d like “silver.” This is a custom request and it’s ready to go for you.

Thank you!

Return to “Insignia”