Cancel Series

Discussions about the 1978 TV & Movie series.
Indiana40
Citizen

Cancel Series

Post by Indiana40 » Sun Jul 23, 2017 9:11 pm

Why did they cancel the series. And what was up with battle star 1980 . What we're they thinking

I always wonder this

johnnybear
Raider Commander

Re: Cancel Series

Post by johnnybear » Mon Jul 24, 2017 4:25 am

I think it was too expensive for the suits to carry on with and they told Glen to carry it on without the cost! Hence we get Galactica 1980 with Lorne Greene working for nothing and virtually the entire cast from the original show missing! Even with the changes and cheaper stuff it still failed despite the fan interest or not as the case may be! :IL:
JB

GoldCylon
Founder

Post by GoldCylon » Mon Jul 24, 2017 9:33 am

ABC doomed the show before it ever aired. The original idea was to have 3-4 made for TV movies the first year. Then the second year was to be a series if the movies went well, but ABC was so impressed with the Saga movie they pushed for the series now. Everything that was being worked on for the other movies was dropped as they quickly went into series mode. Most TV shows get more lead time to ramp up for filming, but they though Galactica was already put together, and didn't put much thought into the extra time needed for the model fx, and filming time needed for the models. Additional scrips needed, longer production time, and the list goes on. When you are in a hurry and you need things done now it cost a lot more. The show begins it slip in quality and the slow slide in the ratings. ABC wanted a #1 rated show and when it ended the year if I recall in the top 10 they axed the show. They failed to give the series a second chance till public out cry brought the show back in the 1980 form. ABC missed the mark again, and thought the target audience was younger so again a failed program. ABC gave it life, and death because a lack of understanding what that had. :frack:

johnnybear
Raider Commander

Post by johnnybear » Wed Aug 02, 2017 3:20 am

Wonder what they would have done with a second season? More Cylons? Baltar reunited with Lucifer? Count Iblis? Return of The Pegasus and Commander Cain? More near misses with finding earth? Or a new more sinister type of alien enemy? Does anyone have any ideas about this? :nah:
JB

Red Eye
Cylon Empire VIP & BYC.net Gallery Admin
It’s my birthday

Post by Red Eye » Wed Aug 02, 2017 8:34 am

Take a look at our Gallery, johnnybear.

We've got the Year 2 Proposal Script there:

http://www.byyourcommand.net/cylongalle ... ?album=418

Happy reading!
"There can be no survivors. So long as one human remains alive the Alliance is threatened."

Croft2014
Raider Pilot

Post by Croft2014 » Fri Aug 25, 2017 6:55 pm

Essentially it did very well in the ratings but was so expensive the execs felt that the cost didn't justify it continuing based on those ratings; they weren't quite good enough.

GoldCylon
Founder

Post by GoldCylon » Fri Aug 25, 2017 7:07 pm

Croft2014 wrote:
Fri Aug 25, 2017 6:55 pm
Essentially it did very well in the ratings but was so expensive the execs felt that the cost didn't justify it continuing based on those ratings; they weren't quite good enough.
You are correct it did do well in the ratings, but ABC thought they bought the #1 show for the year. The cost of a million per episode was unheard of then, but I bet you if it ran the entire session in the #1 or even #2 slot they would have picked it up. It would have given Glen,and his team time to get back on track with plenty of time to work out many of the details long before even the 1st day of live action filming. :cylongold:

johnnybear
Raider Commander

Post by johnnybear » Thu Sep 07, 2017 1:53 pm

Red Eye wrote:
Wed Aug 02, 2017 8:34 am

Happy reading!
Thanks for that Red Eye! So Colonel Tigh and Sheba would have disappeared even if the series had a second season? But what about her need to see her Father again?
JB

silverspar
Spare Parts

Post by silverspar » Fri Sep 08, 2017 3:01 pm

johnnybear wrote:
Thu Sep 07, 2017 1:53 pm
Red Eye wrote:

Happy reading!
Thanks for that Red Eye! So Colonel Tigh and Sheba would have disappeared even if the series had a second season? But what about her need to see her Father again?
JB
I was wondering that myself. What of "the women of the crew will take more important part". Replace Tigh with Athena like in the Richard Hatch novels? And what of the relationship starting to grow between Apollo & Sheba?

Specter
Raider Pilot
Location: Quadrant Alpha, 19,000,000 sectars by Epsilon vector 22

Post by Specter » Wed Apr 11, 2018 10:04 am

johnnybear wrote:
Thu Sep 07, 2017 1:53 pm
Red Eye wrote:

Happy reading!
JB
From what I've read elsewhere, the plan was to bring back the Pegasus in the season opener, only this time Cain would turn out to be an advanced Cylon duplicate. This would complete the Cain-and-Sheba arc and Sheba would be killed off at that time. Apollo would be so traumatized by feelings of guilt over her death that he would step down as squadron leader and Starbuck would be promoted in his place.

johnnybear
Raider Commander

Post by johnnybear » Thu Jul 12, 2018 2:36 pm

Definitely not a good way to start season two! I was thinking more of Count Iblis influencing commander Cain rather him being a Cylon duplicate! And Sheba dying? No way! :frack:
JB

Return to “1978 TV Series”