Was Galactica the first American sci-fi series with story arcs?

Discussions about the 1978 TV & Movie series.
Hope It Is The Grog
Squadron Leader

Post by Hope It Is The Grog » Sat Aug 15, 2015 8:17 am

I'm thinking, but other than Doctor Who I can't think of anyone else who was doing story arcs in science fiction TV before BSG. Primitive as they were, BSG had the Ship of Lights arc (intersected by the Terra arc), character arcs for Apollo and Sheba, the Baltar-in-prison arc, and a few other things going on. By contrast, you could jump into something like Star Trek (TOS) anywhere and be about the same.

Am I forgetting something, or was Galactica the first sci-fi arc-welder on US TV?

"I may move to the command chamber. I'm sure they're talking about me while I'm in here."
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sufferin ... 2291161676

Hope It Is The Grog
Squadron Leader

Re: Was Galactica the first American sci-fi series with story arcs?

Post by Hope It Is The Grog » Wed Aug 19, 2015 2:17 pm

From the silence, I take it that either (1) there aren't any other examples, or (2) this is a completely uninteresting topic. :bsglol:
"I may move to the command chamber. I'm sure they're talking about me while I'm in here."

Cylon-Knight
Site Administrator

Post by Cylon-Knight » Thu Aug 20, 2015 10:11 pm

I was trying to ponder this some... Star Trek TOS had no arcs? Not even two related episodes?
"All Baseships are now in range to attack the Colonies."

Cylon-Knight
Site Administrator

Post by Cylon-Knight » Thu Aug 20, 2015 10:14 pm

Okay. How about 1968, Land of the Giants... didn't it? I've not seen it forever but it seems show to show there was some story arcs... or maybe just two parters... hummmm Lost in space maybe?
"All Baseships are now in range to attack the Colonies."

Hope It Is The Grog
Squadron Leader

Post by Hope It Is The Grog » Thu Aug 20, 2015 11:19 pm

Cylon-Knight wrote:I was trying to ponder this some... Star Trek TOS had no arcs? Not even two related episodes?
Well, OK, I grant you Harry Mudd, but two points don't determine an arc. Still, come to think of it, I guess the Organian Peace Treaty counts as a proto-arc, although it happened the first time the Klingons were introduced. As for Lost in Space and Land of the Giants, I'd be interested in hearing about their possible arcs as I've never seen either. :smile:

bishopdonmiguel
Phalanx Leader

Post by bishopdonmiguel » Sat Aug 22, 2015 8:07 am

Logan's Run may have had an arc but it was very short lived and it's been decades since I've watched.

Understanding that we are all products of our time, I must confess the lack of story arcs is what I find so enjoyable about 60's and 70's programs. Episodic television can be enjoyed at any moment without investment. Each (good) episode is a self-contained jewel.

The transition to serialized storytelling has made jumping in difficult and I often feel so lost that I don't bother watching what are probably exceptional shows. Television writing and programs have improved significantly, but for me enjoyment of a serialized shows must be measured across many episodes and I often do not have the time to appreciate it. While a show like DS9 presented some of the best SciFi storytelling arcs in television history, I still enjoy the self contained episodes the best.

Hope It Is The Grog
Squadron Leader

Post by Hope It Is The Grog » Sat Aug 22, 2015 9:45 am

I tend to agree. :cool:

Planning on watching through Logan's Run soon, so I'll report back.

Hope It Is The Grog
Squadron Leader

Post by Hope It Is The Grog » Thu Sep 03, 2015 5:08 am

Well, I'm just 3 episodes into Logan's Run, and while I'm not sure if I've seen an arc yet, I am sure that the little electronic "Berrrr! Berrrr! Berrrr!" in the theme song is starting to annoy me day and night. :ugh:

(Edit: That was my 360th post. Have I come full circle?)

bishopdonmiguel
Phalanx Leader

Post by bishopdonmiguel » Thu Sep 03, 2015 5:54 am

Hope It Is The Grog wrote:Well, I'm just 3 episodes into Logan's Run, and while I'm not sure if I've seen an arc yet, I am sure that the little electronic "Berrrr! Berrrr! Berrrr!" in the theme song is starting to annoy me day and night. :ugh:
Oh, now you've done it. With a comment like that, I must watch this again. It's only been 37 years since my last viewing.

Hope It Is The Grog
Squadron Leader

Post by Hope It Is The Grog » Thu Sep 03, 2015 5:25 pm

bishopdonmiguel wrote:
Hope It Is The Grog wrote:Well, I'm just 3 episodes into Logan's Run, and while I'm not sure if I've seen an arc yet, I am sure that the little electronic "Berrrr! Berrrr! Berrrr!" in the theme song is starting to annoy me day and night. :ugh:
Oh, now you've done it. With a comment like that, I must watch this again. It's only been 37 years since my last viewing.
Happy to be of service. :IL: :byyourcommand:

Hope It Is The Grog
Squadron Leader

Post by Hope It Is The Grog » Thu Sep 03, 2015 10:57 pm

Ah, just saw the one with ultimate 70's genre babe Lisa Eilbacher. :loveit: She so should have been in Galactica.

Hope It Is The Grog
Squadron Leader

Post by Hope It Is The Grog » Sun Sep 06, 2015 1:07 pm

Trying not to turn this into a general Logan's Run thread, but... Kim Cattrall?!? That's got to be the earliest thing I've ever seen her in.

Scott
Raider Gunner

Post by Scott » Mon Sep 07, 2015 6:36 am

(Edit: That was my 360th post. Have I come full circle?)

I totally agree, Logans Run has the most annoying theme in TV history.

What about the Planet of The Apes TV series?

They had the found computer disc storyline that ran through at least a couple (or a few) of episodes. I think it was eventually abandoned, or maybe just never mentioned again.

Back to Logan, Greg Harrison raised a eyebrow when I brought a Logan's photo for him to sign. I didn't ask, but I'm guessing he doesn't get many Logan's items at shows?

Hope It Is The Grog
Squadron Leader

Post by Hope It Is The Grog » Mon Sep 07, 2015 6:47 am

Scott wrote:

They had the found computer disc storyline that ran through at least a couple (or a few) of episodes. I think it was eventually abandoned, or maybe just never mentioned again.

Back to Logan, Greg Harrison raised a eyebrow when I brought a Logan's photo for him to sign. I didn't ask, but I'm guessing he doesn't get many Logan's items at shows?
:bsglol: Perhaps not!

OK, I'll take your word for Apes as long as it ran for more than 2 episodes (according to the geometric principle of an arc).

Scott
Raider Gunner

Post by Scott » Tue Sep 08, 2015 11:40 am

Hope It Is The Grog wrote:
Scott wrote:

:bsglol: Perhaps not!

OK, I'll take your word for Apes as long as it ran for more than 2 episodes (according to the geometric principle of an arc).
I need to check. I swear it's in at least 2. Might be more, even though it could be a throwaway line. After a fight with the apes, "Pete, do have the disc!?!"

Return to “1978 TV Series”