The Hand of God

Discussions about the 1978 TV & Movie series.
Hope It Is The Grog
Squadron Leader

The Hand of God

Post by Hope It Is The Grog » Wed Apr 08, 2015 8:58 pm

I'll always remember my first viewing of The Hand of God because of that moment inside the Base Star when the Cylon guard looks up and everything goes into slow motion as Apollo yells "Staaaaaarbuuuuuck!" Knowing it was the last episode, I got this tremendous chill up my spine because I thought, "Oh crap, they're going to kill off Apollo!" Luckily they didn't, :wink: but I was sure they were going to.

Anyone else have that reaction the first time? I never saw that episode during the original run, only later in syndication, probably 1982. Information being scant in those days, I only knew that Apollo was dead by the time of Galactica 1980.

"I may move to the command chamber. I'm sure they're talking about me while I'm in here."
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sufferin ... 2291161676

GoldCylon
Founder

Re: The Hand of God

Post by GoldCylon » Thu Apr 09, 2015 10:07 am

I never had the thought that Apollo or Starbuck were ever going to be killed off. I do question why they slowed it down.

Cylon-Knight
Site Administrator

Post by Cylon-Knight » Thu Apr 09, 2015 11:47 pm

Dramatic effect?
Did that episode have a new director vs. all the prior episodes?

Very interesting.
"All Baseships are now in range to attack the Colonies."

Hope It Is The Grog
Squadron Leader

Post by Hope It Is The Grog » Fri Apr 10, 2015 6:46 am

Nope, 'twas Donald Bellisario. That effect was what made me think some big bad thing was about to happen, because it was so unusual. And the final episode.

And I knew the first sentence of the novelization of Galactica 1980 was "My sons are dead." That was as far as I had read, though. :bsglol:
"I may move to the command chamber. I'm sure they're talking about me while I'm in here."
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sufferin ... 2291161676

Croft2014
Raider Pilot

Post by Croft2014 » Sat May 23, 2015 3:12 am

I saw The Hand of God on it's first broadcast and had seen a preview so was very stoked. At the time I lived in Rochester New York (I moved to the UK in August 1983). It remains one the best episodes of the series; I noticed that the new series used the episode title but can't recall offhand if I've seen that one and if it recalled the plot of the original. I was most disapointed at the time when BG got cancelled and even more disapointed when I saw Galactica 1980.

Cylon-Knight
Site Administrator

Post by Cylon-Knight » Sun May 24, 2015 6:23 pm

The nuGalactica show was also - exactly - titled "The Hand of God." :sunglasses:
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0519789/
"All Baseships are now in range to attack the Colonies."

Return to “1978 TV Series”