Lost Planet of the Gods - just a discussion

Discussions about the 1978 TV & Movie series.
Hope It Is The Grog
Squadron Leader

Lost Planet of the Gods - just a discussion

Post by Hope It Is The Grog » Wed Sep 04, 2013 7:08 pm

This is a peculiar episode. It seems impossible to watch it casually; I really have to be in the mood. But when I am, nothing else will do!

It's probably the most emotionally intense of the episodes, with only War of the Gods coming close in that respect. And it's a heavy load of material... the mythology of Kobol, the sick pilots, the female cadets, the return of Baltar, the wedding, the location shots at Luxor, the heavenly choirs, the tragic ending (where I have to say Noah Hathaway definitely earned his paycheck). Anyway, there's lots of unique stuff here and I have a lot of love for this episode. Watching it too much is like a surfeit of Easter candy, though. :grin:

For a long time I thought I remembered watching a scene where Lucifer rescued Baltar from the rubble... but just last year I found my old Marvel Comics digest and realized that was where it came from. :blush:
Last edited by Hope It Is The Grog on Thu Sep 05, 2013 9:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

"I may move to the command chamber. I'm sure they're talking about me while I'm in here."
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sufferin ... 2291161676

Hand-Schaub
First Centurion

Re: Lost Planet of the Gods - just a discussion

Post by Hand-Schaub » Wed Sep 04, 2013 9:43 pm

Very true. It's funny how we can blend memories of what we saw in a comic and what was on screen. It shows that the stories were really a part of us no matter what form they took!

Red Eye
Cylon Empire VIP & BYC.net Gallery Admin
It’s my birthday

Post by Red Eye » Thu Sep 05, 2013 12:56 am

Oh yes, I have to agree completely. "Lost Planet of the Gods" is surely another highlight of the series.

When you look at it today, "Stargate" comes to mind with all these Egyptian influences when the Colonials investigating the ruins on Kobol. For me, it works even better than the Greek mythology in RDM's BSG.

Would have been great if there would be a "Lucifer rescuing Baltar" scene, though.

And have you noticed? Later, in "Gun on Ice Planet Zero", Baltar's still limping from his little accident in the crypts. A nice 'lil piece of continuity.
"There can be no survivors. So long as one human remains alive the Alliance is threatened."

Hope It Is The Grog
Squadron Leader

Post by Hope It Is The Grog » Thu Sep 05, 2013 5:26 am

I had not connected the limp, but that's a very good observation.

Baltar's scenes in Gun were sort of a later add-on, weren't they? I think I've read that somewhere, that Gun was originally to be the second of the planned series of TV-movies, and I guess at that point Baltar would have been considered killed off in the pilot (as in the theatrical version)?
"I may move to the command chamber. I'm sure they're talking about me while I'm in here."

Red Eye
It’s my birthday

Post by Red Eye » Thu Sep 05, 2013 7:58 am

Thanks.

You're right, "Gun un Ice Planet Zero" was the second episode they shot right after the pilot.

Originally, it was intended for the Imperious Leader to take Baltar's part but after they didn't killed him off in "Saga", he returned and took the Leaders' role of pursuing the Colonial Fleet.

In the original "Gun" script, it was also planned to have Vulpa as an recurring character as well. But as we all know, he was destroyed by Lt. Starbuck in the final version. Poor Vulpa! :sad:
"There can be no survivors. So long as one human remains alive the Alliance is threatened."

Hope It Is The Grog
Squadron Leader

Post by Hope It Is The Grog » Thu Sep 05, 2013 8:58 am

Yes, we all felt close to Vulpa because we got to hear him go through puberty between part 1 and part 2. :grin:

Red Eye
It’s my birthday

Post by Red Eye » Thu Sep 05, 2013 9:01 am

Good one! :lol:

Hope It Is The Grog
Squadron Leader

Post by Hope It Is The Grog » Thu Sep 05, 2013 5:14 pm

Lost Planet was also the only time they experimented with having the Colonials say "By your leave" as a sort of counterpart to "By your command."

Why the Colonials would want to talk like the Cylons, I can't imagine. Glad they didn't keep that.

:ugh:

Hope It Is The Grog
Squadron Leader

Post by Hope It Is The Grog » Fri Sep 06, 2013 5:26 am

Not to denigrate the wonderful phrase "By your command," of course. :blush: I just don't think the humans needed a copycat phrase.
Last edited by Hope It Is The Grog on Thu Oct 03, 2013 7:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

Hope It Is The Grog
Squadron Leader

Post by Hope It Is The Grog » Thu Sep 26, 2013 6:25 pm

This is also the one time we really see Adama lose all control, in what becomes a pretty tension-filled scene. The only two survivors of the peace conference meet for the first time since, and as soon as Adama hears that voice he's ready to kill Baltar, Apollo having to pull him off his throat. The misstep is so serious that Baltar is emboldened enough to play the "What's-he-been-telling-you" routine with Adama's own son and it seems for a minute as if he could really get away with it... :shock:

Hope It Is The Grog
Squadron Leader

Post by Hope It Is The Grog » Thu Oct 03, 2013 7:16 am

Am I correct that there exists no known copy of the full scene excerpted in the previews where Starbuck says, "Don't force it. Remember, you're flying a Viper. Just thinking what you want to do is enough to make it happen"? :huh:

goldcylon1
First Centurion

Post by goldcylon1 » Thu Oct 03, 2013 7:40 am

Hope It's The Grog wrote:This is also the one time we really see Adama lose all control, in what becomes a pretty tension-filled scene. The only two survivors of the peace conference meet for the first time since, and as soon as Adama hears that voice he's ready to kill Baltar, Apollo having to pull him off his throat. The misstep is so serious that Baltar is emboldened enough to play the "What's-he-been-telling-you" routine with Adama's own son and it seems for a minute as if he could really get away with it... :shock:

Not really he almost lost it in the pilot as well only Apollo could comfort him at the site of the remains of his house on Caprica. However he didnt try to strangle anybody in that seen as well lol
Goldcylon@cox.net

goldcylon1
First Centurion

Post by goldcylon1 » Thu Oct 03, 2013 7:42 am

Red Eye wrote: But as we all know, he was destroyed by Lt. Starbuck in the final version. Poor Vulpa! :sad:
Vulpa is alive.. I heard that was all done with mirrors. Vulpa lives !!!! :cylongold:
Goldcylon@cox.net

Hope It Is The Grog
Squadron Leader

Post by Hope It Is The Grog » Fri Oct 11, 2013 5:21 pm

Come to think of it, where did Baltar know Starbuck from? :huh:

goldcylon1
First Centurion

Post by goldcylon1 » Fri Oct 11, 2013 5:56 pm

Hope It's The Grog wrote:Come to think of it, where did Baltar know Starbuck from? :huh:
When they were in the raider as a part of the prisoner transfer also when count iblis delivered their enemy
Goldcylon@cox.net

Return to “1978 TV Series”