Lost Planet of the Gods - just a discussion

Discussions about the 1978 TV & Movie series.
oneofbaltarsfewfans
Citizen

Lost Planet of the Gods - just a discussion

Post by oneofbaltarsfewfans » Wed Sep 27, 2017 10:47 am

This is the episode that makes me wish there had been a second season. So many things could have been developed further. I love shows, books, games, etc that have some big twist and I would have loved to have seen if maybe, just maybe, Baltar really was trying to warn Adama. Maybe he wasn't really that bad of a guy, just made some bad choices. And then his whole ordeal in the tombs just drove him mad. With the way they added him back in Gun On Ice Planet Zero, he acts more like his "insanity", so to speak, is more of a recent development.
Last edited by oneofbaltarsfewfans on Wed Sep 27, 2017 10:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

"Now perhaps you see why the Imperious Leader put me in command."

GoldCylon
Founder

Re: Lost Planet of the Gods - just a discussion

Post by GoldCylon » Wed Sep 27, 2017 11:00 am

Baltar misunderstood? Maybe, but I am with just a bad guy that was in search of power. :IL: :cylon: :cylongold:

oneofbaltarsfewfans
Citizen

Post by oneofbaltarsfewfans » Wed Sep 27, 2017 11:14 am

GoldCylon wrote:
Wed Sep 27, 2017 11:00 am
Baltar misunderstood? Maybe, but I am with just a bad guy that was in search of power. :IL: :cylon: :cylongold:
Which is awesome too. :cool: I'm just saying it would have been an interesting take on it.

I like to give bad guys a little more credit then they deserve. :)

johnnybear
Raider Commander

Post by johnnybear » Sat Sep 30, 2017 3:16 am

GoldCylon wrote:
Sat Sep 23, 2017 10:00 am
johnnybear wrote:
Sat Sep 23, 2017 6:40 am
Hope It Is The Grog wrote:
Sat Sep 16, 2017 6:37 am
Not all the deaths may have been shown. Remember, ABC had a limit for onscreen deaths in the 8:00 time slot. That's why they changed the Cylons from living beings to androids.
So originally The Cylons were going to be a humanoid species? Bit like The Klingons then I'd guess! :IL:
JB
The Cylons were more like a Lizard type of creature. That is why the Imperious Leader has that lizard like look. It was a tribute to the original Cylon creatures that designed the Cylon Robots. ABC didn't allow that much killing of a living creature to be broadcast back then, but a robot was not a living creature. So Glen made a few adjustments in the story line as recalled by Apollo when talking to Boxey in the Landram on Carillon and then make these lizard like creatures into robots. Andrew Probert took over the initial designs, and refined the look to what Glen approved.
I guessed after that you meant they would look like Lizard creatures as The Imperious Leader does. But he is also a machine too as stated in LPOG:1 by Lucifer himself too!

JB

Hope It Is The Grog
Squadron Leader

Post by Hope It Is The Grog » Sat Sep 30, 2017 8:55 am

Lucifer clearly had ambitions of becoming the next Imperious Leader. I like to imagine the Leader was destroyed on Gamoray, and then after Baltar's capture Lucifer took credit for destroying the Pegasus and attained his goal. :IL:

goldcylon1
First Centurion

Post by goldcylon1 » Wed Nov 01, 2017 11:52 am

Hope It Is The Grog wrote:
Sun Oct 13, 2013 7:01 pm
Cylon-Knight wrote:One could argue they had met on the Galactica when Baltar was aboard before the "peace conference." It would make sense the top Warrior/Viper pilots were the ones around / helping / guiding / security for the Quorrum members.
Except that the meeting was on the Atlantia. :wink:
Guess they might have pulled in warriors from the other battlestars to help out, though.
I heard they came from Purple and Orange Squadron
Goldcylon@cox.net

Cylon-Knight
Site Administrator

Post by Cylon-Knight » Thu Nov 02, 2017 11:46 am

;) :nah: :loveit: :nah: :lol:
"All Baseships are now in range to attack the Colonies."

johnnybear
Raider Commander

Post by johnnybear » Wed Nov 15, 2017 11:19 am

We mustn't ever forget that it was Baltar who betrayed the entire human race to The Cylons to begin with! Later on I think after he had been threatened with death by The Imperious Leader, he probably would like to have seen The Galactica destroy them and leave him in control of his colony or planet that we never learned anything about! I wonder if he's still living in that tiny shuttle with short range communication equipment on an icy derelict planet at the edge of the galaxy still waiting for Lucifer to pick him up? I suppose it depends on what order you watch the episodes I guess? :IL:
JB

goldcylon1
First Centurion

Post by goldcylon1 » Fri Jan 12, 2018 12:53 pm

not only episode but versions. One version it was implied Baltar lost his head. :cylongold:
Goldcylon@cox.net

Hope It Is The Grog
Squadron Leader

Post by Hope It Is The Grog » Fri Jan 12, 2018 4:18 pm

Lucifer won't be picking him up. He's fat (in a robotic sense) and happy in the throne room of Baltar's base star, plotting to become the next Imperious Leader.

Oxnard Montalvo
Centurion

Post by Oxnard Montalvo » Sun Feb 11, 2018 8:47 am

goldcylon1 wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2018 12:53 pm
not only episode but versions. One version it was implied Baltar lost his head. :cylongold:
I seem to remember reading years ago, that there's a Galactica 'urban legend' floating around that photos supposedly exist of a version of the scene where you see the sword make contact and at least part of the decapitation take place, the 'legend' holds that it was filmed for the overseas theatrical prints. Personally I've never believed the story, but I have heard it several times from independent sources....

Hope It Is The Grog
Squadron Leader

Post by Hope It Is The Grog » Sun Feb 11, 2018 5:51 pm

All theatrical prints showed the sword making contact with Baltar's neck. They cut directly from there to the "zip pan" of the Vipers over Carillon.

There are several takes of that execution shot in the DVD extras for Saga.

johnnybear
Raider Commander

Post by johnnybear » Sat Feb 24, 2018 4:02 am

Plus numerous shots and sounds of John Colicos screaming! :cylon:
JB

Cylon-Knight
Site Administrator

Post by Cylon-Knight » Mon Feb 26, 2018 1:04 pm

Maybe the good Centurion was just giving Baltar a shave, Sweeney Todd style.
One needs to look their best if they are to command a Basestar ;)
"All Baseships are now in range to attack the Colonies."

oneofbaltarsfewfans
Citizen

Post by oneofbaltarsfewfans » Mon Mar 05, 2018 3:03 pm

johnnybear wrote:
Wed Nov 15, 2017 11:19 am
We mustn't ever forget that it was Baltar who betrayed the entire human race to The Cylons to begin with! Later on I think after he had been threatened with death by The Imperious Leader, he probably would like to have seen The Galactica destroy them and leave him in control of his colony or planet that we never learned anything about! I wonder if he's still living in that tiny shuttle with short range communication equipment on an icy derelict planet at the edge of the galaxy still waiting for Lucifer to pick him up? I suppose it depends on what order you watch the episodes I guess? :IL:
JB
True. But because there was only one season, they are so many ways the show could have gone!

Maybe the humans needed someone on the inside of the Cylon Empire, like a spy. Maybe the appearance of complete betrayal was the only way to save humanity. Maybe Baltar counted on Adama not believing him and knew he would be skeptical of anything Baltar said concerning the Cylons. It was established in the show that if Apollo and Adama had not been so skeptical of the Cylons, and Baltar's, motives, the humans would have been completely annihilated. What if there was a side of Baltar that counted on that and he really was trying to save humanity, while making the Imperious Leader think he was a conniving weasel who only thought of himself? Maybe all the times the Galactica got away from him, or Adama outsmarted him, he wanted it to happen.

And I don't think Lucifer would have saved him.

Return to “1978 TV Series”